Our solutions are powered by our proven Discovery Center file analysis platform matching its capabilities to your specific needs
Our Content Compliance solution uniquely offers content clean up together with identification and remediation of sensitive data. Whether used as part of a storage optimization or risk mitigation program, Content Compliance works at scale on files in place and provides information down to the file level enabling rapid and informed remediation decisions to be made across any connected repository.
Based upon years of practical experience working with global customers, Content Compliance provides a proven and focused solution to addressing the proliferation of e-trash and sensitive data in unstructured content. Powered by our Discovery Center file analysis platform, Content Compliance provides business and storage managers with tools to address both content growth and sensitive data leakage. Deployed to a virtual, physical or cloud hybrid environment, Discovery Center provides a map of e-trash, redundant, obsolete and trivial (ROT) content and potentially sensitive data. Working on content in place, it allows unwanted files to be removed or quarantined efficiently in bulk and presents workflow-driven review of sensitive data violations for remediation. With built in audit functions, all actions form part of a defensible and repeatable process.
- Including Diners Club, American Express, Discover, JCB, Visa, Mastercard plus IBAN and SWIFT codes.
- Social security, tax file, medicare and health insurance numbers plus personal details such as date of birth, phone numbers, e-mail address and more.
- Holistic view of data: design and act on policies driven by what data you actually have.
- Resolve data spillage and PII: spot and remediate sensitive content including PII.
- Typical storage reductions of 30%+: defensible deletion of e-trash, ROT, stale and low value content.
A commercial defense customer had spent 1,000s of man hours cleaning internal file shares but did not know what sensitive data existed. They believed their data was clean and challenged Active Navigation to provide more insight into their ‘clean’ data.
What Was Done
Discovery Center was used to build content inventories, remediate data and identify sensitive data across all content.
- The results from content inventory activity enabled elimination of a further 40% of the data.
- Stale data was moved to cheaper storage and storage policy violations remediated.
- Hundreds of incidents of leaked PII were identified in uncontrolled areas. Violations were moved to a secure area for remediation to take place.
Frequently, organizations buying new content platforms neglect content migration, leaving files behind or simply dumping them across. Sometimes they force their staff to do the job manually. Our Intelligent Migration solution prepares content for migration before moving into the target repository and tagging them on the way resulting in reduced manual effort, lower volume-based migration costs and higher quality migrated data.
Intelligent Migration uses a proven, structured methodology, developed from years of practical experience working with global customers, to properly prepare content for migration. Powered by our Discovery Center file analysis platform it addresses content quality issues by removing e-trash, low value and duplicate files to reduce content volume. It then uses file analytics with classification capabilities to create consistent new metadata in a way not achievable manually, before moving into the target repository and tagging them on the way.
- Plan migrations using real data: understand what data actually exists and make it migration-ready.
- Reduce migration costs: lower content volumes, reduce staff effort and destination storage costs.
- Reduce content risk and improve content quality: ensure only relevant data is migrated, sensitive data is secured and that migrated content is consistently tagged.
A commercial customer with a global information estate needed to migrate 15TB of content to SharePoint 2013. The content was spread across 15 global locations and needed to be tagged against an extensive metadata schema.
What Was Done
Discovery Center created an inventory of files; ROT policies and duplicates analysis enabled 7 million files to be defensibly removed. Based upon the organization’s existing schema, file contents and property analysis created new metadata to be written to SharePoint columns.
- Initial discovery enabled files to be screened to resolve violations of SharePoint policies
- Files from geographic locations were de-duplicated and consolidated to the central SharePoint repository
- Removal of unwanted files reduced migration costs and effort
- Files were consistently tagged where manual review and labelling would have been costly if not impossible
- Cost of storage in the SharePoint destination was reduced by almost 50%
Whatever your organization’s situation, eventually it will need to address information governance as part of its day-to-day business. Our Content Governance solution provides a key component of any information governance strategy, enabling organizations to pro-actively monitor the quality and compliance of their content in place. It applies our proven methodology as a continuous cycle, monitoring connected repositories, automatically applying policies and notifying information owners and relevant users for action as part of a repeatable and defensible process.
Our Content Governance solution brings proven Discovery Center file analysis technology and embeds it in your organization to enable continuous monitoring of content as a key part of your information governance portfolio. Using rules matched to actionable content policies, Discovery Center stays on the lookout for leaked records, sensitive data spillage, stale content, ROT, e-trash and other content quality issues. When found, workflows are started and disposal action is initiated in place. Importantly, because these activities are policy-driven and fully audited, the whole process is defensible.
- Stay on top of content risk and growth: deal with sensitive data and ROT before they get out of hand.
- Grow governance maturity: continuous feedback on content risk and quality drives behavior changes.
- Reduce discovery burden: with content under management and in good shape, the cost of legal holds, early case assessment and collection can be significantly reduced.
A federal defense customer needed to improve its compliance with information assurance policies and keep its content in shape before transition to a new cloud infrastructure.
What Was Done
Discovery Center file analysis monitors all repositories. ROT and assurance violations are reported and resolved as part of the customer’s routine operational cycle.
- Operational information assurance and quality requirements are reported upon and embedded into business as usual.
- As new policies come into force, the customer can quickly adapt and respond to become compliant at minimum cost.
- Information management practices have matured, improving the availability and quality of operational information.
Our proven methodology is effective for one-off projects whilst able to grow to meet on-going governance needs
- Gain a cross-repository inventory of all content so you can plan your project based on real data
- Test policies across 100s of millions of files to understand their impact
- Your chosen solution adds pre-defined rules for handling a wide range of ROT, e-trash, stale and outdated content
- Rules can be adapted and modified to make them actionable in your environment
- When results are available, or on demand, Discovery Center provides graphical and tabular presentations to enable you to visualize content at scale
- Structured review allows subject matter experts to work through large volumes of content in a repeatable manner
- Bulk markup and action enables effective clean up at scale without the need for file-by-file review
- Where more precision is needed, file-by-file review shows you the details
- Review markup is captured in a full audit trail
- Use actionable policies to drive bulk actions so that you can efficiently delete and quarantine ROT from any connected repository
- Cleansed content is removed from search and improves efficiency for more detailed analytics
- For content migration, files can be profiled to check migration readiness and resolve any issues
- Act to cleanse outdated and unused files or resolve over-allocated virtual storage.
- Extend rules to add more complex ROT policies as needed
- Discovery Center keeps a full defensible audit trail for all actions including extensive logs of success and failure
- With ROT and unwanted content dealt with, text analysis locates sensitive content including PII, credit card details and leaked protectively marked files
- Using conditional and smart file analysis technologies, our Discovery Center crunches though 100s of TB of content with ease
- Potentially sensitive files are identified and handled in place for review and subsequent remediation, regardless of repository
- Bulk actions through to file-level review gives precision where its needed
- All actions are audited for defensibility
Tag and Organize
- Intelligent Migration opens up Discovery Center’s full analysis capabilities for the design, creation, deployment and management of unlimited metadata schemas to tag and classify content
- Analysis and classification results drive migration to any connected repository or in-place tagging with a massive range of metadata attributes
- Structured, hierarchical classification supports mapping to and testing of business classification schemas, taxonomies, retention schedules and file plans
- Close integration with target repositories writes metadata with migrated files for improved search, to drive business processes and support retention management